View Single Post
Old September 6 2008, 01:00 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

Re: Columbia moving forward with new "Ghostbusters"

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Is it me, or is there a new trend of doing new sequels in old movie franchises? Just this year we've had new movies for Indiana Jones and Rambo, despite their previous movies being 10+, possibly 15-20 years ago. Then there's The X-Files, 10 years after the first movie, 6 years after the series ended. I'm sure there've been others I'm not thinking of at the moment, but my point this, now with this Ghostbusters rumour it seems franchise resurrection is becoming as much a trend as remakes are.
As with most "recent Hollywood trends," it's nothing new. Nostalgia always goes in stages of 20-30 years, about as much time as it takes for the fans of a property to grow up and become filmmakers or TV producers. Sometimes it takes a little longer, like getting a TV sequel to 1953's War of the Worlds in 1988, or Return to Oz coming out in 1985 (though that was closer to the book universe rather than being a direct sequel to the 1939 Oz film). And 1960's Psycho got feature film sequels in 1983 and 1986, a Bates Motel TV series (without Norman) in 1987, and a Showtime sequel (the only good followup) in 1990. There was also Twilight Zone: The Movie in 1983, and of course there was this 1960s starship show you may have heard of that got various film sequels from 1979 onward...

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I used to watch that after school in the 80s. When I first tuned in, I was disappointed that it wasn't the real Ghostbusters, but it grew on me and I ended up liking it.
There was a Real Ghostbusters cartoon airing contemporaneously, on ABC and in syndication. Maybe it wasn't on in your area?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote