View Single Post
Old September 5 2008, 07:33 PM   #189
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Re: Read & Reread "Greater Than The Sum"- My Opinion (Spoilers)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dayton3 wrote: View Post
1) The character of T'ryssa is one of the worst ever written for Star Trek. She struts around the book acting more like the chick in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" having her sexual awakening.
I've never seen that movie, nor do I have any interest in doing so. And frankly I'm surprised that people have so much of a problem with the fact that she's sexually active. She's described as having one recent/former lover, one casual fling, and one increasingly committed relationship over the course of a book that spans four months. I don't think that's especially unusual for an unattached 26-year-old, in reality or in fiction. Unless said 26-year-old is from a conservative or religious community. I recall Riker being similarly promiscuous during TNG.

People seem to be touchy about sex in Star Trek, for some reason. I don't know what it is. I for one would like to see Riker hittin' them skins doggystyle with Counselor Troi.
As for Fast Times at Ridgemont high, it's a fun movie. Do yourself a favor and check it out if you ever run across it on cable!