View Single Post
Old September 5 2008, 11:43 AM   #67
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Re: Ripping the supernatural out of science fiction.

Deckerd wrote: View Post
3D Master wrote: View Post
No, again, your wrong. We know exactly what we need to do to attain FTL speeds. We just don't know how to actually do it. Hell, we have ways to produce FTL-communication (quantum-entanglement).
If you read my little snippet on quantum entanglement in the sci/tech thread, you'll realise that even if scientists do actually prove this exists, they are talking about fields connecting sub-atomic particles. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but humans are, without exception, not sub-atomic particles. Nor are any putative spaceships of the future.

Some enthusiasts have speculated what might cause an effect that could override the fact that nothing but light can move at the speed of light - this is not "knowing exactly what we need". It's science fiction.
And thus, it goes to show, even science isn't an exact science. All the more folly and waste to treat science fiction like that.