View Single Post
Old September 4 2008, 05:57 AM   #15
cynical dreamer

Re: Ripping the supernatural out of science fiction.

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
The X-Files definitely deals with the supernatural, as does Millennium. It's been such a long time since I've seen Farscape, and I haven't finished the last season or the miniseries yet, so I'm not sure.

Should we talk about the big elephant in the room here, Star Trek? It has employed pseudoscience left and right all the time, but has it been explicitly supernatural? Even the Prophets on Deep Space Nine were explained as non-corporeal aliens.
Farscape had Zhaan, a Delvian priest who displayed many mystical abilities. It also had people switching bodies, etc... (I love Farscape dearly but there's a lot of supernatural elements to be found).

As for Star Trek, I've always found mind melding to be of supernatural origin in it's concept. A bit like so called "mind readers" parading around in real life. Though you could make the argument that this is pseudoscience rather than the supernatural.

Science (and in particular Biology) have always been used pretty "fast and loose" in Trek. The demands of drama i suppose.

As for the particular case of DS9. Having Dukat become "posessed" for lack of a better term is one element I would consider supernatural. And the whole concept of Sisko being 'the chosen one' seems to fit with the notion of precognition (on the part of the wormhole aliens) which would also make it fit as supernatural in my eyes.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples I'm not thinking of atm.