View Single Post
Old September 3 2008, 11:39 PM   #29
Alaedhros
Fleet Captain

Re: Google ownz your browsing

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
How can Google "take over" anything when their browser is open source? At worst, everyone ignores it. At best, competing browsers integrate Chrome's good ideas.
The same way that Firefox gained a respectable usage share of the browser market, or LAMP took over the server market--by being better than the competition.

Also, Google wants competing browsers to integrate their ideas. They'd be pleased as punch if IE has a Javascript engine as fast as Chrome's and a way to launch web apps like local apps.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Since keeping each tab in a separate process is kind of a no-brainer, I am more interested in their approach to JavaScript. The hidden class concept and sticking JS within a VM are both interesting ideas. I know that the thing that most often causes me trouble is misbehaving JavaScript. Always lagging my pages, stealing precious clock cycles.

I will probably wait until Chrome is more mature before I consider jumping aboard, but the ideas put forth are pretty interesting.
I agree, the ideas are quite intriguing, and it seems to me like they would go a long way toward making a browser that would perform well on the web today. Should be interesting to see how Firefox responds.

Last edited by Alaedhros; September 4 2008 at 12:48 AM.
Alaedhros is offline   Reply With Quote