View Single Post
Old September 2 2008, 10:46 PM   #13
Shaw
Commodore

Re: Google ownz your browsing

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
They talk about multi-threading and multi-processing browsers as if they were a new thing. OmniWeb on the NeXT had all that back in the 90's.
While I'm always happy to see people tout my favorite browser (OmniWeb) and one of my favorite platforms (NeXT), I think it is important to point out that NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/Rhapsody did not have multiprocessor support in any version released to the public. While they all had the potential, it wasn't until development started on Mac OS X that Apple included the actual ability. When running NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP or Rhapsody on a multiprocessor system, only one processor is used (first hand experience with both multiprocessor PCs and Macs).

That having been said, OmniWeb is an awesome browser. It has been my primary browser since 1997 and (in my opinion) makes the web a much more enjoyable experience.

As for the topic at hand... I don't understand why anyone would be upset by a company releasing a product. Either it'll be worth it or not. But short of them using anti competitive measures, why not just let them try?
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote