View Single Post
Old September 1 2008, 01:50 AM   #30
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

DavidFalkayn wrote: View Post
Very well done. To a large extent, the Cardassians during the Dominion War were caught in a trap of their own making as well as caught up by external forces. The Klingon attack awakening nationalist feelings, fear of becoming little more than a client of the Federation, and their own lofty aspirations combined with a militaristic culture makes for a tragic situation. I think you do a good job in bringing us into the Cardassian mindset.

Looking forward to more once you get caught up!
Thanks!

I don't know if you've ever read All Quiet on the Western Front, or watched the movie, but when I first saw the movie in German class, it was an experience I never forgot: to actually follow a unit of (admittedly fictional) World War I German soldiers that way and get to see a group of them as individuals suffering the horrors of war...it didn't matter as I watched that what their government was ordering them to do was unjustified. What mattered was the very personal tragedy.

Now, I'm not trying to indicate here how THIS one is going to turn out. But as a person who doesn't watch a lot of movies, that one really stuck out, and it opened my eyes to a reality that I want to reflect here--that some of the men and women in the trenches deserve our sympathy even though they're on the wrong side.