View Single Post
Old August 28 2008, 10:46 PM   #17
Renvar
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Why couldn't they use a transporter to replicate Data?

Timo wrote:
What I mean here is, in all probability the transporter does not analyze the subject to quantum level, then destroy it, then build a new one out of those instructions and another batch of raw materials at the other end. It does not use quantum resolution at all.

Instead, it turns existing structures into "phased matter" streams, a process that is more akin to taking a man-sized clump of the LEGO castle and placing it on a trolley than to breaking it down and carrying it by hand. The matter is not torn down to its constituent pieces, it's only transformed to "phased matter" which carries a gigantic amount of information with it, making it unnecessary for the transporter to handle that information.
How then does the biofilter screen out contaminants? If the matter is not pulled apart in the matter stream, how can the filter screen out and remove the foreign molecules?

Timo wrote:
But that was a highly exceptional situation. And if raw material from the Potemkin were used, or used twice as much as normally, all sorts of klaxons would have gone off and immediately revealed to the world that two Rikers now existed.

Using raw material at the assembly spot is a very unlikely method for the Trek transporter to work, because typically the assembly spot is in the middle of nowhere. It is perfectly possible to beam Data into stark vacuum, for example. Or Lore, at any rate. The materials for that simply must be tagging along, not being replenished from any specific source.
I'm not saying that every transported person/object is made from new material from the ship. They are most likely made from the same material that comprised the original person. In the Potemkin incident, the transporter chief duplicated the original confinement beam to have a redundant pattern to reconstruct once the matter stream had arrived on the ship. The only way he could have created a second beam was to add matter (or energy to turn into matter) from somewhere to supply the needs of the second pattern. Once both beams were received, the chief would then reintegrate the two beams, using the second beam to correct for any errors or missing matter of the first beam. The excess matter/energy could then be recycled similar to how a replicator recycles dirty dishes and leftovers.

Timo wrote:
So where did the material for Thomas Riker come from? It's not as if any of the laws of conservation of energy or matter would really hold in the Trek universe; the exotic energetic phenomena in the atmosphere might quite well have created duplicate atoms out of nothingness in a freak accident, and the universe shuddered a little and perhaps uncreated a few atoms elsewhere to compensate.
That's a very nice house of cards you've built there. And when did the laws of conservation of energy/matter stop applying for Trek? I never received that memo. In a world where matter and energy can be substituted for each other, I can still see how those basic principles would remain viable. I could accept that, in a freak accident, the second transporter beam "captured" some matter and energy from the distortions in the atmosphere when it bounced back toward the planet. From what I know that is not my belief, but it's certainly more plausible than creating atoms out of nothingness.

Timo wrote:
However, in this case, there is no evidence that Pulaski's memory wouldn't have been reset in the process. It's not a rejuvenated Pulaski, it's the Pulaski from a few days back.
Except that when they did cure her, she did seem to remember everything. Her cells were reverted to a younger age, but her mind was unaltered. There were many things wrong with that episode though, so I'm just going to mosey on along past it.
Renvar is offline   Reply With Quote