View Single Post
Old August 27 2008, 11:57 PM   #15
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

Re: Why hate replicator????

Deks wrote: View Post
One of the reasons I couldn't stand DS9 much was because of it's religious undertones.

Replicated food being hated?
Hardly ... it's just that the writers apparently wanted to insinuate that to some people, replicated food tastes differently from home-cooked one ... nothing more, nothing less.
And it was explicitly stated that the food tastes the same all the time ... it's the 'picky' ones who complain simply because it wasn't 'home-cooked' and don't want to potentially 'insult' their parents cooking? - as stupid as it may be.

It wasn't until Ds9 it was dumb-ed down and modified to the extent of being 'hated' where everyone went to Quarks for a meal.

When you are on a star-ship ... it's easier to replicate a meal instead of going to the airponics bay and take something from a limited supply.

There is no reason that people would stop making home-cooked meals because of the replicator or that people in turn would hate replicated food because for some of them it tastes 'differently'.

A 'soullessness' society? Give me a break.
I wasn't talking about it having less soul in a strictly religious sense (in fact I'm an athiest), perhaps "humanity" would be a better term. I just meant that just because it's easier to press a button to make a meal that tastes exactly the same doesn't make it better. Eating is a social experience, and part of that experience includes the aromas and anticipation associated with a cake baking in an oven, the pride of the chef having created, modified, or figured out some stellar recipe, the idea that making something for someone else it an act of love, that it connects us to our ancestors, to the romance in the world. And it's probably much more comforting to people that are so far from home to have something that reminds them of it than to press a button on a replicator. Food is more than the sum of its atoms. If it wasn't, one might as well eat MRE rations.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote