View Single Post
Old August 27 2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: Why hate replicator????

I think modern day sets a good precedent: there are a lot of people out there who just do not like the taste of prepped or fast food. I myself enjoy a freshly grilled burger freshly rolled from beef, rather than something that was frozen and then fried like McDonald's.

Now, many people in Trek can't taste the difference between replicated food and traditionally made food. But these days, I think there are quite a few people who can't really tell the difference between pre-made fast food and real food (as so many Pizza Hut commercials would have you think about their pasta!).

I also think that if a 21st century person travelled to the 24th century and tried replicated food, that person might miss the differences and nuances. Along those lines, if an 18th century person travelled to modern day and tried out fast food, he might think it was quality nourishment (like HG Wells in Time After Time).

In my mind, I equate this quote (thank you, George Carlin) to a commonly held belief of replicators in the 24th century:

I’ve been pre-wash, pre-cooked, pre-heated, pre-screened, pre-approved, pre-packaged, post-dated, freeze-dried, double-wrapped, vacuum-packed...
I see the need for replicated food, sure, and I probably wouldn't mind. But being a foodie means having a developed palate

darkshadow0001 wrote: View Post
I thought it had to due to the fact the replicators didn't work as well as the ones on the Enterprise. Either that, or they were trying to make DS9 more like real life.
To be fair, though, TNG did show a decent amount of people who much preferred real substance to replicate matter, ie O'Brien (to Keiko's disgust), Picard's brother, and most-famously Scotty.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote