View Single Post
Old August 25 2008, 01:01 AM   #44
RookieBatman
Commodore

Re: Why No 1960s Batman TV Series on VHS, DVD, etc.?

N-121973 wrote: View Post
Speaking of old TV shows that should be on DVD, I think Disney should release the colourised editions of the old Guy Williams Zorro show from the 50s on DVD. I've watched a few clips of the colourised episodes on Youtube recently and they're quite good. Like Batman it was something I used to watch on Saturday mornings.
Well, if you (or any kids you might have) are a fan of various other Disney products, you might be in luck. The colorized first season and maybe half of the second is on DVD exclusively through the Disney DVD club. This means that you'd have to get like five other DVDs as obligation to the club membership, but if you like Disney stuff, that's no loss.
Along with wishing they would be non-exclusive, I wish they'd release the original b&w versions. I'm not really a fan of colorizing since I don't mind black and white. I just prefer things to be in their original format. But yes, in whatever form, I do wish they would put this show on DVD.
In addition to Zorro and Batman, the other must-release shows on my list are Maverick, the Lone Ranger (although, 36 episodes have been released, but with no more likely forthcoming anytime soon), the Green Hornet, Major Dad (hey, I'm a military brat), and the X-Men cartoon.

As for the question of cameos mucking up the works, I read about this Bob Hope movie called "The Paleface," a western comedy. Apparently, according to the IMDB trivia (or maybe Wikipedia?), Bob Hope had so much influence back then that he got a crazy amount of cameos from all the western superluminaries of the time. He had James Arness as Matt Dillon, James Garner as Brett Maverick, Fess Parker as Davy Crockett, and others. It seems that no TV presentation or video release of The Paleface has ever been totally complete, because they weren't allowed to use some of the cameos outside of the theatrical release. I don't know any of the whys and wherefores of that, but there might be a similar situation like that for Batman. I doubt that's the only problem, but consider; even if they just edited out all those cameos and released the show without them, that editing could cost a little more than they might care to spend, if they're under the impression that the DVD's wouldn't sell well since the dark Batman is so popular now (not that I feel that way; I think I'd be one of the relatively few younger people to buy them, but I think the nostalgia crowd would have them flying off the shelves).