View Single Post
Old August 22 2008, 05:28 PM   #96
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.
Robinov thinks he's found a magic formula, but I doubt that Nolanizing Superman is such a brilliant idea.
Exactly. I'm a bit worried now. One of people's biggest complaints towards Superman Returns was how brooding and dramatic it was. Wouldn't you think they'd want to lighten it up for another go-around?
I enjoy Returns. But I can easily see how people have problems with it, particularly tonally. Instead of "dark and brooding" the concept should be "tone which best suits the character". I don't know that Superman lends itself readily to dark and brooding, or that it should. The character always struck me as being most effective when it is used to evoke a sense of wonder from the extent of all those impossible powers. It's the clear eyed optimism of a superpowered farm boy in the face of all that darkness, which I think is what makes the character unique.

The challenge is not to make him darker, but to make those aspects work without being corny.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."

Last edited by TheArsenal; August 22 2008 at 05:34 PM.
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote