View Single Post
Old August 21 2008, 06:13 PM   #91
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: Visual Proof a Resdesign is a good thing

Sheridan wrote: View Post
3D Master wrote: View Post
Sheridan wrote: View Post
I would also like to point out that Moore's re-imagined Battlestar Galactica show with all the radical changes he did to the story and characters still kept the original design of the ship. I'm guessing it was updated a bit but overall its basically the same design that they used in 1978.
No, he didn't. The Galactica only has a barest resemblance of a similar shape. The two ships are nothing alike.
Yeah, I've only seen one episode of the old BSG so I didn't realize just how different they were but they still are more similar to each other than what you portray. My point is he didn't throw out the old design and pick a completely different one. He took the basic design of the old ship and updated it which is what I expect they'll do with the Enterprise.
The dictate by the "powers that be" was that the ship had to look NOTHING like the original design. The people who did the new version snuck in tiny little "homages" to the original (ie, the area between the four aft engine nacelle elements is copied fairly closely from what was the engine array on the original series ship) but the entire point of the design, as INSTRUCTED, was to abandon the original design entirely.

The folks making the show obviously weren't as big on that as the folks in the nosebleed-level offices were... since they did as much as possible to deviate from that later on. But the view which was presented to the "suits"... the side view... is totally and completely unrelated. And the front and rear views are unrelated as well. Only the top view is "slightly similar." That's because they never showed that view to the studio/network guys 'til the "miniseries" had been green-lit and the money committed.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote