View Single Post
Old August 20 2008, 01:59 PM   #35
Dayton3
Admiral

Steve Roby wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
tenmei wrote: View Post
Uhm, Dan, I might have missed a post but when did anyone bring religion into the debate - you're the first one to bring in religion (and I've reviewed the thread) ?
My bad, I just linked his opinions with his religious opinions which is something I wouldn't ordinarily do, but too many late nights and early mornings are catching up with me.
I think religion is a likely subtext in posts complaining that a fictional character has sex. Maybe there are other reasons to hate the idea of people having sex without being married, but I'm not sure what they might be.
One could make the strong argument that sex with fellow crewman (or co-workers) is damaging to the overall work environment and unit morale.

ATimson wrote: View Post
Steve Roby wrote: View Post
I think religion is a likely subtext in posts complaining that a fictional character has sex. Maybe there are other reasons to hate the idea of people having sex without being married, but I'm not sure what they might be.
A belief that people shouldn't do something unless they're willing and able to handle the potential consequences (namely, a child), for one.

Of course, by the 24th century their birth control is hopefully more advanced than ours. But at the moment... well, some people obviously never learned how to use it, unfortunately for their children.
21st century birth control is nearly 100% effective if used properly.

Another thing I found difficult to fathom is Picard's almost suicidal desire to be the one who gets to be assimilated and infect the Borg with the attack agent or whatever it is called.

I get tired to this stuff about captains in Starfleet putting themselves in danger.

Wouldn't it occur to them that they are a major asset of Starfleets and the Federation? Especially Picard with his knowledge of the Borg.

Carrier captains in the U.S. Navy don't fly F/A-18s into combat.

Last edited by Rosalind; August 20 2008 at 02:04 PM.