View Single Post
Old August 20 2008, 02:39 AM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Re: Read & Reread "Greater Than The Sum"- My Opinion (Spoilers)

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
1) The character of T'ryssa is one of the worst ever written for Star Trek. She struts around the book acting more like the chick in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" having her sexual awakening.
I've never seen that movie, nor do I have any interest in doing so. And frankly I'm surprised that people have so much of a problem with the fact that she's sexually active. She's described as having one recent/former lover, one casual fling, and one increasingly committed relationship over the course of a book that spans four months. I don't think that's especially unusual for an unattached 26-year-old, in reality or in fiction. Unless said 26-year-old is from a conservative or religious community. I recall Riker being similarly promiscuous during TNG.

2) Picard and Crushers marriage- Why is Beverly in such a big hurry? They've only been married two months. Her biological clock given the technology of the period is certainly not an issue.
I answered this in another thread. It's not about Beverly, it's about Picard. Just before they got the message from Starfleet about the Borg, Picard was about to suggest to Beverly that they start a family. He was ready. He wanted that. He's always cared profoundly about his family lineage, and we saw in Generations how concerned he was about the end of the Picard line if he never had kids. So this was something he wanted, and Beverly knew it. But then he pulled away from it because of his fear of the Borg. She wasn't bugging him to let her have a kid, she was trying to help him move past the fear that was keeping him from fulfilling his own need for a family.

Crushers bitching and moaning about wanting to have children during the Borg crisis kills a lot of the drama. After all, if the characters fully anticipate coming out on the other side of this thing okay, and moving on and having children, where is the sense of peril and doom?
I seem to recall having Beverly specifically say that it was worth trying to create life even despite the risk that it might end.

And beyond Picard's discomfort with becoming a father, didn't anyone ask the obvious question? That Picard with a pregnant wife aboard would be much more distracted than he would be otherwise?
Again: Picard wanted to be a father. Preserving the Picard lineage is just about the most important thing in the world to him. His discomfort came from his fear of losing his family to the Borg.

3) The alien critters in the book. This strikes me more as more of more of the "living universe" crap we see in Star Trek.
I don't have a clue what you mean by that.

Finally, the Captain of the U.S.S. Bhutto allows his security chief to take one of the Federations best weapons into battle with the Borg in a suicide mission on the off chance they can inject one of the drones with it!!!
Well, it's kind of hard to use a weapon if you don't actually bring it into contact with the enemy at some point. And since they did have a whole planet being destroyed beneath their feet, they didn't exactly have the luxury of devising a perfect plan.

Written Worlds -- My blog