View Single Post
Old August 20 2008, 12:39 AM   #622
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
... but I'm a pretty damned good engineer. I've been through this sort of thing on many design programs. And as a result, I've developed a basic "standard practice" that I use on everything.

Before I make any physical elements of any kind, I create a very detailed "skeleton" made up of datum planes, datum axes, datum points, and sketches (never intended to be seen in the final model). I then build my geometry using those as references. That avoids the very problem you're encountering now.

If dealing with habitable spaces, I generally create datum planes to reflect the floor and ceiling of each individual deck. I create sketches (on individual datum planes) reflecting basic structural elements. It's a long and involved process but it's invaluable... because you already have geometry (which will never be visible in the final model) which you can reference as you create every downstream feature.

The problem with this approach is that you lose the ability to "massage" certain elements... you're pretty much tied into the general layout you create up-front. But if you do that layout in a parametric fashion, you can then "tweak" the layout in those datums and sketches and everything else downstream will update "automagically." (Or "most everything" anyway.)
Cary, I'm fascinated by what I think you're talking about here. Could you go into a bit more detail about these datum planes you use and your parametric approach? Pictures, videos, and personal, one-on-one hand-holding at your expense are all welcomed. Thanks!
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote