View Single Post
Old August 19 2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Re: Same Movie, Different format

Hermiod wrote: View Post
The difference this time around is that VHS tapes wouldn't play in a Laser Disc player and Laser Discs wouldn't play in a DVD player. DVDs on the other hand, will play in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players. You don't have to replace anything and there is very little benefit in doing so for a lot of movies.

With a few exceptions, I am generally not replacing anything I already own with Blu-Ray discs.
Quite true. I think plain 'ole standard-definition DVDs are in for the long haul. BluRay is nice and pretty, but I think the general public is pretty happy with DVD and they're cheaper than BluRay. I suspect that, over time, people will start buying new movies on BluRay but so long as they can play their DVDs on a BluRay player, there's no need to upgrade.

I didn't own too many movies on VHS (a lot of stuff I taped off of TV). Upgrading to DVD wasn't too difficult since I didn't have many titles to re-buy. And I won't replace any of my DVD copies with BluRay. Hell, I don't even own a BluRay player and I'm not in any hurry to get one.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote