View Single Post
Old August 19 2008, 04:06 PM   #25
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

Re: Do you love or hate the Ferengi episodes, overall?

ninetofive wrote: View Post
I like comedy films in general, but I hate the recent spate of stupid, low-brow comedies starring any member of "The Twat Pack", namely Will Ferrel, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Eddie Murphie (Nutty Professor style stuff), Steve Carell and the original: Jim Carey. (Although Judd Apatow is partially responsible for the quality of many of their movies.)
Are you referring to the so-called Frat Pack? If so, that's generally considered a different group of people than those you cited. In addition to Judd Apatow it generally includes Luke and Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Ben Stiller, and Steve Carell.

I think the Apatow movies are seriously very good. They sort of combine the vulgar with intelligently crafted, well-developed characters I can invest in and care about, kind of like Kevin Smith but better. Steve Carell is solid in just about everything he does. Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell are hit or miss, as are the Wilson brothers.

Of the other people you mentioned, I think Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey have done some good work, Rob Schneider hasn't done much I care for and yeah, Eddie Murphy generally makes awful movies now but was great years ago.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote