View Single Post
Old August 19 2008, 12:22 AM   #64
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

Re: How About Replacing the Galaxy saucer with dedicated weapons platf

Forbin wrote: View Post
Deks wrote: View Post
Nothing substantiates that in regards to SF ships of the same class that leave construction yards.
AND NOTHING SUBSTANTIATES THAT OPINION ANY MORE THAN MINE.

And a *sigh* back atcha pal. I don't know why you're taking this so seriously, we're just postulating fiction that has no canon referent whatsoever. Neither of us is correct OR wrong, both our opinions are equally as likely. I'm just throwing out a "what if" thought process here. Although you seem to be working from assumptions that the real world doesn't support.

The five space shuttle orbiters were each substantially different from the other. While some parts were interchangeable, a LOT were not. No SR-71's instrument panel was identical to another's. No Nimitz Class carrier is 100% the same as the previous build. Etc, etc...

Some of the hypothetical variations on the GC I mention that you casually dismiss with refitting would require such extreme rework that it would be pointless. Say the main EPS interconnect trunk on ship 4 is moved 50 meters to port simply because some engineer realized a handier way to route it to make final assembly at the shipyard easier. This in no way invalidates the current position of the trunk on ships 1 thru 3, because they're already assembled, and rerouting the trunk would be expensive and pointless, not unlike this thread. All the ships work fine, but that leaves 4 thru 6's saucers unable to interchange with 1 thru 3's - an operation that Starfleet considers so unlikely anyway, as to eliminate any point in modifying the older ships.

I await your next rude attempt to treat me like an ignorant child.
Very true -- and I can guarantee that the first two ships of the newest USCG National Security Cutter class, the CGC BERTHOLF and the CGC WAESCHE are no way interchangeable... yet they were/are being built using the same blinking drawings.

Why? Again -- it's Configuration Management, pure and simple.

To put it another way -- think about handgun forensics like on CSI:Whatever. How many times have they (the CSI's) traced down any particular handgun to its owner by examining the lands-and-grooves of the bullets & barrel? Practically, I dare say, every episode! Yet I bet that any particular pistol from the same company and same production batch came from, wait for it... the same drawings!

A highly-simplified example from above, I'll admit, but still... it's called the reality of manufacturing.

Cheers,
-CM-

P/S Oh, and just to add -- my experience? I'm a Naval Engineer. I design ships for a living.

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Last edited by Colonel Midnight; August 19 2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Added job & work experience
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote