View Single Post
Old August 17 2008, 07:47 PM   #50
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Rock covers. When the cover was better.

Outpost4 wrote: View Post

Here's another great cover: The Dickies - Nights In White Satin. I'm a huge Moodies fan but The Dickies take 5 minutes of overblown pomp and distill it down to 2 minutes of shrieking piss and vinegar.
ITL wrote: View Post
The Dickies did a marmalizing cover of the Banana Splits theme tune, as well.

Saw them play that once. The Dickies are awesome. There's been mention upthread of Black Sabbath covers, and the Dickies' cover of "Paranoid" is right up there. Ditto the "See Me, Feel Me" (The Who) section of "If Stuart Could Talk".

While those might not be better than the originals, am I the only one who thinks that the Dead Kennedys' "Viva Las Vegas" is the best version? Or their cover of the Rawhide theme song?

Messianni wrote: View Post
Orac Zen wrote: View Post
I'll probably be burned at the stake for this, but who cares: With the exception of "Hurricane", I prefer pretty much any Dylan song as performed by anyone other than him.
You just made angels cry.
I might allow a couple more besides "Hurricane" but I'm of much the same opinion. I'd also rather hear most Springsteen songs performed by someone other than Bruce. It may not be a popular viewpoint, but it is mine.