View Single Post
Old August 17 2008, 06:11 PM   #44
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

Re: Rock covers. When the cover was better.

ITL wrote: View Post
The Dickies did a marmalizing cover of the Banana Splits theme tune, as well.

Way too fucking funny.

You just cost me money. I went on MusicStack and just bought copies of their first two records on vinyl, one of which has the Banana Splits song. I had most of their other ones already. If I'd know that they had also covered the Gigantor theme on one of them, I would have bought them a lot sooner.

The Dickies weren't just a cover band. Most of the songs on their records were originals. Let's not forget they did the title track to the totally bizarre movie, Killer Klowns From Outer Space. But it was the few covers on each record that they are best known for. Here's a review of their live CD, Still Got Live, Even If You Don't Want It, from the All Music Guide:

The Dickies are one of those bands that kind of resist analysis, let alone criticism. A reviewer can point out that they barely know how to play their instruments, and the only proper response would be, "So what?" A reviewer can point out that their version of "Sounds of Silence" is without doubt the worst ever recorded, and the only proper response would be, "Yeah, but their version of 'Paranoid' is the best ever." Then there's "You Drive Me Ape (You Big Gorilla)," the band's signature tune and a genuinely perfect little post-punk ditty, and their version of "Nights in White Satin," saints preserve us. It all adds up to some kind of perfect album, strangely enough. The CD reissue preserves the wretched sound quality of the original cassette (which came out in 1986 under the title We Aren't the World), and even that fact is perfect in some weird, alternative-universe kind of way.
The Dickies intro to the frantic cover of "Sounds of Silence": Paul Simon taught us this next tune...over a highly homosexually erotic game...of Mousetrap!

God bless The Dickies.