View Single Post
Old August 17 2008, 06:18 AM   #30
The
Rear Admiral

View The's Twitter Profile
Re: Visual Proof a Resdesign is a good thing

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
It's all personal, I guess. The way I see it, TOS was just about state-of-the art for what it did: it was just about as serious a show as the other dramas of its time while being the first show to seriously grapple, week after week, with a mostly coherent space opera setting. It was revolutionary and, I submit, responsible for the a great deal of the mainstreaming of SF that is all through our cultures, high and low. And even then, only about a third of its episode were of the of the quality that makes me say, to this day, "My God, but I love that show!" TMP and TWOK each had a measure of that but after them, Trek became "product" and rarely showed real inspiration. As a fan, I was willing to blind myself to that--I adored TSFS and TUC, for example, when they hit theatres but can barely watch them today.

But yes, I did derive a lot of enjoyment from DS9. Hell, back in college, I got a big kick out of TNG episodes I cannot tolerate today. And I was abou 9 years old when I first became a Trekkie--no doubt, I'll be more kind to stuff from back then out of nostalgia. But I can't ramp up that passion for Trek anymore, nor do I think I should try. For a while I was here, fighting the good or not-so-good fight against the overly optimistic projections but I can't really get it up for that any more, either. This next movie is just a movie, it'll suck or not suck on its merits. I just hope I can judge it thusly.
You have a lot more passion and respect for TOS than I do. But, then again, I never examined it from the angles you present. I think, though, that I respect it for exactly those same reasons, whether I ever had the kind of passion you did. My Trek passion is reserved for TNG, as it was my first foray into the Trek universe. So, nostalgia won't even play a part with me, concerning this movie.

Still, your fandom path and mine are eerily similiar, and I think it's that which caught my eye about your post. I, too, have no great passion for the upcoming movie. I'm just ready to see some spectacle. I don't believe it will have the heart that those early Treks ever did. I think it will be a fun, modern, open-to-newcomers action flick, with a spoon of Trekkie nostalgia for The Fans. Nothing more, nothing less. I guess I'm of the opinion that it's nearly impossible for the corporate machine of Hollywood to produce anything nearing a form of "art". I believe something like this film, which is being created to appeal to a wide-demographic, can be nothing more than 'product'.

But, I'm willing to be proven incorrect. Thanks for the quick reply...