View Single Post
Old August 16 2008, 02:57 AM   #114
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Re: BATMAN 3 RUMOR next Villian??

V wrote: View Post

2 - or, you could make it that there's yet another "new D.A." or "new FBI task force leader" or whatever (Gordon is already Commissioner).....or maybe, just the head of their crime lab..............but the point is, he *engineers* "The Riddler" as an alternate persona to get more power. By day, he's mayor/FBI crimes guy here to clamp down on the city and restore order, but by night, he's The Riddler...intentionally starting the chaos that is then used as justification for even further lockdowns. I don't know if that would work though.
Now, that's interesting - and would be a great use of one of the Rogues.

But it would be sort of a techno-thriller thing: you know like "Enemy of the State"; the Riddler would be so "smart" that he's hacked the city's new CCTV surveilance system and has taps on all the phones, controls the traffic lights, etc. and he manipulates the city like a giant chessboard. And Batman's got to fight him even though he pretty much controls everything.

Yeah the Riddler's a criminal....but he's not in it for the money: he's in it because he feels slighted by a world that doesn't recognize how smart he is. I'm going by Batman Animated Series, but I liked that whole origin (followed in several spinoffs) that he's a brilliant scientist/programmer whose own company higher-ups fired him after taking him for granted, with a whole "if you're so smart, why aren't you rich?" mentality:

The Riddler doesn't steal because he likes stealing. That would be too simplistic. The Riddler is trying to aggressively prove to the world how smart he really is, and stealing things is just a powerful symbol of that he uses (people notice more when you rob a bank). And in that way he's really narcissistic; that "Psychology of Batman" special said how he's really like Ted Bundy because they both feel compelled to leave clues at crime scenes and taunt the police, and when Bundy was on trial he was gloating about what he did.

So the Joker was Chaos and how the bad "lowlifes" of the mob in Gotham really almost brought everything down.

Well, the "logical progression" is: what is going to be the reaction from the "good citizens of gotham"? the people that "believe in order"?
Exactly, after being traumatized by Joker, and having Harvey Dent held up to them as the Hero That Saved Them, aren't Gothamites going to be pretty eager to elect a law and order leader? You could easily do something with the whole hacker/ controlling everything in the city thingfor the climatic fight - though didn't they use that schtick in Live Free or Die Hard?

the way I see it, the Nolan-Riddler would be like, a scientist or computer programmer guy who loses everything because of how rampant the mob in Gotham had become (possibly due to some of Joker's actions in TDK), and he just *snaps*....

....*snaps*, and says "the Joker's whole thing was "plans are useless" and "intelligent civilized people can't accomplish anything, the forces of chaos will bring you down!".........so the Riddler *snaps*, and goes "Oh yeah?!" and basically hacks the entire Gotham telecommunications and surveillance grid, and uses it to utterly destroy the mob more than Batman ever did.......because the Riddler isn't above killing them.
I seriously hope they continue with their established style - which is no origin for villians. How did Ra's come to be part of the League of Shadows? Who knows? What made Jonathon Crane enjoy experimenting on the insane? Does it matter to the story? Where was Joker before Batman appeared? Who cares? If they use one (or more) of the Rogues, I don't need to know how or why they became a criminal.

But then, I'm weird for a Batman fan. I have next to no attachment to any of the Rogues except in how well they can be used in a story about Bruce Wayne's struggles.