View Single Post
Old August 15 2008, 04:18 AM   #15
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Have Star Trek Writers Ever Tried to Create an Unlikable Character

Christopher wrote: View Post
^^Except that Tev would respect her more if she did the former.
The problem isn't that Tev doesn't respect her -- that's a problem, but not the problem. The real problem is that he tends to forget that he's part of a team, and he also tends to forget that Gomez is his superior officer.

The way I approached his character was that, to his Tellarite way of thinking, politeness was hypocrisy and the civil way for people to relate to one another was by being brutally honest. Gomez made a fatal mistake in terms of their relationship by trying to interact with him on human terms, being civil and polite. If she'd remembered to treat him like a Tellarite, if she'd expressed her anger and disapproval openly from the start, he would've respected her from the start and they would've gotten along much better.
True, but, as you yourself showed in the story, Gomez was a little busy grieving.

Although, as we've seen, getting too angry and confrontational would've just made him think she was in love with him...
Indeed.

If you're talking about the incident with Gomez, I'm still not really sure I see it the way you may be seeing it.
See above -- what he did in Small World was completely in character, but it was also spectacularly irresponsible and was, at the very least, a violation of protocol.

I'd rather not "explain" my view of Tev because a lot of the issues with him come to a head in Security, which I assume you haven't read, what with nobody actually reading eBooks and stuff. Talk to me again in October.

Honestly, one of my biggest regrets with the eBook hiatus was that we had serious plans for Tev's further development. (Sarjenka's also.)

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote