View Single Post
Old August 14 2008, 03:46 AM   #45
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: Top 20 - Bands

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
Canadave wrote: View Post
The Tragically Hip (seriously look these guys up if you like rock\classic rock and haven't heard of 'em)
One of the best pieces of advice I've taken away from this board, in 7 years on here. Thanks again, Canadave! tomalak301, based on the rest of your list, I'd encourage you to take the man's advice. I know I certainly am glad I did. I started listening to them about what? 5 or 6 months ago, Dave?
That sounds about right. And you're welcome, once again! I'm always glad to spread the love. And if you are actually interested, tomalak, I can recommend a few songs to you.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
anais wrote: View Post
Broken Social Scene
Metric
I'm glad I'm not the only one on this board who knows who these groups are. When I was introduced to them and come on here to talk about it, I thought I was. Metric is alright (Emily Haines has a great voice though) and I do know of one of Broken Social Scene's members, Jason Colett who has soothing music but has gotten a bit boring.
I saw Emily Haines solo about a year ago. She was pretty good... love her voice! BSS is pretty cool, too, but I tend to be more of a fan of it's various member groups. The Stars are pretty good, as is Memphis, a side project of one of their members along with another from Metric. The Arcade Fire is far and away my favourite, though... Neon Bible is just an amazing album.

Another great artist out of the Canadian indie scene, though not necessarily connected to that Montreal scene are Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, who play sort of country-rock, much in the spirit of The Band. The Rheostatics are another great band, though probably a little too experimental for some, but personally I think they're one of the five best Canadian bands of the last twenty years.