View Single Post
Old August 12 2008, 10:04 PM   #31
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Re: Uniform Differences

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
jon1701 wrote: View Post
I suppose the only thing you could say for Spiderman, Superman et all is that they only had to make one outfit (although they probably made plenty of spares) as opposed the the hundreds they made this time out. I've no idea the costs involved in creating a delta shield-esqe fabric off the shelf. I assume its a relatively simple process but I honestly have no idea.

I think we need a fabric expert. Do we have a fabric expert on the board? There's never a fabric expert when you need one.

I can't believe I'm discussing fabric.
In order to create a new weave, you have to createa new weaving process and, in most cases, create new weaving machinery to produce it. And it's not a trivial task to come up with a weaving pattern.

I've never dealt with this for clothing purposes, but I've dealt with composites using woven fabric meshes integrated into them. In these cases, it's critical to get the "weave" exactly right for mechanical purposes, as you can certainly guess.

To create a new weaving process would probably run in the range of between 3 and 5 million dollars. Unless, as I said, they got lucky and found a fabric which already had the right shape in it already, purely by coincidence.

Now, if the shirts are some form of polymer-blend (rayon/polyester, for instance) they could theoretically "iron in" the patterns... essentially, do a small local melt of the fabric fibers to give it a little "sheen" in various locations. This would be practical, but the fabric would be compromised in terms of its strength... meaning that the tunics would probably only last through three wearings (and washings) before they'd need replacement.

But, again, the ONLY time this has ever been done in the past was with what were literally "rubber suits."

Furthermore... think about it... who's going to NOTICE the little symbols in the fabric? If the audience is bored enough by the STORY to be paying attention to the FABRIC WEAVING... then as far as I'm concerned, this'll mean that we have a true BOMB on our hands.

Only us... the "hardcore fans"... will even really care that the costumes are blue, red, and an earth-tone gold... and that's as it should be.

If even the FANS give a flying @#$* about "little symbols" in the fabric... and worse yet, if the production team WANTS US to give a flying @#$* about that... the production is doomed!
I still can't believe we are discussing fabric. Fabric. Man, we are fucking nerds...