View Single Post
Old August 11 2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Re: top ten hip hop albums of all time?

comicbookwriter wrote: View Post
I guess I was more referring to previous experiences on this board where people had such a harsh and negative reaction to the notion that not all hip-hop is equivalent to gangsta rap.

That attitude makes no sense to me.

And I say that, not as someone who enjoys hip-hop in all its diversity, but as someone whose taste in this genre is pretty much confined to early-90s gangsta rap. I got turned on to that particular style and era by playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

I may not listen to other styles, but I'm aware they exist, and that people listen to them: they just don't do much for me, personally. To deny their existence makes no sense to me at all.

With that in mind--I definitely agree with at least three of the choices on the OP's list: Public Enemy, Dr. Dre, and NWA.

(Though the 'bonus track' on the CD of The Chronic almost ruined the whole album for me. What the hell was Dre thinking? I've never listened to that song again, after the first time.)

Personally, I would add Ice-T's Freedom of Speech...Just Watch What You Say.

And speaking just for myself, I would add one of Cypress Hill's first four albums. Doesn't matter which one--they're all pretty much the same. If I had to choose, I would probably pick IV. They went downhill pretty quickly after that one.

With that, I've probably revealed just how limited my taste in rap really is.