View Single Post
Old August 10 2008, 11:45 PM   #113
ElScoob
Fleet Captain

Re: Albums bands might've wished they hadn't made.

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
Since Phil Spector, reportedly, held them hostage at gun point during some of the session - and he spent hours and hours making them play the same songs and even notes over and over until deep into the morning - I imagine the Ramones can't be to fond of their End of the Century experience. Particularly since it was poorly recieved by the fans.
This was one of the first records that came to my mind upon seeing the thread title. I think the difficulties (to put it mildly) of working with Spector probably soured them on the album, sure, though perhaps Joey may have been better disposed toward the record. He got the chance to work with one of his idols, and to do some of the more pop-oriented stuff he liked. The rest of the boys didn't seem too hot on it, especially Johnny (who famously said, "What are you gonna do, Phil, shoot me?" when he left after tiring of playing the opening chord to "Rock 'n' Roll High School" for the zillionth time). I don't think Johnny much cared for the overproduced sound of the album or the poppier direction, either.