View Single Post
Old August 9 2008, 07:03 PM   #51
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Ward Fowler wrote: View Post
Well, if you would take the time to actually read my post, you'll see that I pointed out that the ideas might seem weighty to the general summer movie audience, not "go over their heads." Nor did I say that the ideas were "profound".
Ah, semantical quibbling...my biggest turn-off on the Net.

I simply said that it aspired to be more than a sci-fi shoot-em-up by exploring issues such as how our experiences, even the painful ones, make us who we are and that we need them for better or worse, or that we all have a need to answer the ultimate question. What does mortality mean to us? Is there anything after death? Are we a cosmic accident or is there some design? Star Trek V addressed these questions in a very broad way and posited the idea that those answers should be sought internally because they can never be answered externally. I'm not saying its some super-intelligent movie, I just appreciate the fact that it was talked about at all in a big-budget summer sci-fi movie. I think shatner made a brave choice when it would have been far safer to do something more conventional. Star Trek V has alot of problems and isn't the best Trek movie by any means, but I really like what they were going for.
I think you're reading lot more into this movie than it actually said. The big, vague "Quest for God" may have been about all of those things by implication, but the movie didn't do a very good job of articulating any of that. You try to paint it as more than your typical popcorn film, but it was actually the most popcorny of the TOS films, with the possible exception of TVH...which, despite its lighthearted tone, managed to much more successfully deliver a message with its entertainment. I think that TFF tried to follow in the footsteps of its predecessors by saying something "big", and went for something way too big, stumbling badly in the process.

"Is this all that I am? Is there nothing more?" Been there, done that much more effectively in TMP.