View Single Post
Old August 7 2008, 06:44 PM   #29
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Re: Top 10 Brilliant But Canceled

Carpe Occasio wrote: View Post

9. Nowhere Man, created by Lawrence Hertzog. UPN. Original run: August 1995 to May 1996. Number of episodes: 25

One of the most frustrating things that can happen when a show is yanked before its time is a denial of answers to a big, over-arching mystery. That's what happened in the case of Nowhere Man, about a photographer (played by Bruce Greenwood), who takes a controversial picture in a South American war zone and suddenly finds his identity erased by a covert, possibly governmental, organization. Nowhere Man incorporated elements of The Fugitive and The Prisoner, but unlike those shows, it never got an epic final episode, leaving fans (dozens of them) to wonder forever (or for a few weeks at least) about the significance of that fateful photograph.
I must quibble. I watched Nowhere Man from episode 1 to episode 25 - and it's ending was perfect. The show sagged somewhat in the middle, but had an incredibly strong beginning and end. The mysterious, unresolved ending was right in keeping with the tone of the show, and the ending line, same as the first, wrapped up all the issues of identity, secrets and lies, and the nature of the unknowable that had been the core of the series.

"My name is Thomas Veil..."

I might add to your list Witchblade. While it's second season was lame, the first season was brilliant. The first and only time a reset button being pushed was so integral and logical to the story. Well acted, well-produced, great storyline, excellent villain, fabulous heroine - and it actually improved on the source material, being much more character based and wasting far less time on cheesecake.