View Single Post
Old August 7 2008, 05:29 PM   #95
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Albums bands might've wished they hadn't made.

Australis wrote: View Post

Hmm, DP albums that shouldn't have been released... Well, Stormbringer wasn't much chop, Ritchie phoned in his stuff (he was going through a divorce as well as the band's ego problems), but I quite like 'Hold On' and 'Soldier of Fortune'. I really like 'Come Taste The Band', though it's a very different Purple. 'Slasves and Masters' has a couple of good tracks, but with Joe Turner onboard it was really Deep Rainbow. Don't get me wrong, at one stage I owned all the Rainbow albums but thaey sure weren't DP.
There were a few good cuts on Stormbringer and I've also always liked 'Soldier of Fortune'. I was a little harsh on Come Taste the Band but, as you said of Slaves and Masters, it doesn't really feel to me like Deep Purple any more; in this case it fell somewhere closer to Paice-Ashton-Lord's Malice in Wonderland and Bolin's solo stuff.

Interesting we should have this thread going, I was only reading a couple of weeks ago that DP insisted that an album be withdrawn from sale, a live show which was their last with Blackmore. GIllan apparently hates it. There's a clip on YT from that gig, 'Highway Star' as an opener, when Blackmore refused to come onstage, so they atarted without him. The anger is palpable. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXWTR...eature=related
I'd heard before about that blowup in general terms, but not about the album specifically. I think I've seen another clip from that tour ('Lazy'?) but not this one before.The bit where Blackmore grabs someone's drink and throws it -- whoof!
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote