View Single Post
Old August 6 2008, 11:46 PM   #19
Thrall
Commodore

Re: BATMAN 3 RUMOR next Villian??

Johnny Depp as the Riddler is a great idea, IMHO. Heath Ledger's Joker is going to be a hard act to follow. I've got no doubt that Depp has the acting chops to be a great villain. Not that I've ever seen Depp as a villain in a film, but hey, he was great as the savage antihero of Sweeney Todd. Scale that back quite a bit and I'm sure you'd get something interesting.
I've never been a fan of the character because he's too gimmicky and one-dimensional IMO. Every Riddler story is the same. Riddler plants some bomb and or has some master scheme(that is always derivative of The Joker) that Batman and Robin have to stop by solving all the clues he leaves in time. And they always do. The only people to do a cool, interesting take on him was Dini and Timm. And even then, the character was barely in the series. He's the definition of camp. Which why he's been a comedy character for years. But if anyone could do something good with him it's Depp and Nolan.

I'd like to see him back (I had thought the film would leave him alive to be used more prominently in a sequel); but it'd be hard to explain away that apparent corpse. It'd be a lot easier to bring back Ras al-Ghul, and even easier to bring back Scarecrow (what happened to him, anyway?).
They were kind of ambigious about it though. They strongly implied it but they didn't actually say he was dead. It's one of those, if they bring him back he was either in a coma or just got knocked out and they locked him up somewhere type things.

An intellectual gentleman Mexican Pro-Wrestler sounds like a punchline to me rather than a villain. I know a lot of people were unhappy with the character's depiction in Batman & Robin, but with a costume that ridiculous being a lumbering oaf is easier to swallow. Maybe if they overhauled the concept it could work.
Yeah but you could say that about anything. Pretty much all comic book outfits look dumb in real life. A little tweaking here and there and he'd look fine. The outfit is not why people liked the character. They liked the character because he was menacing as fuck. He was Bruce's equal in every way and was the only guy that ever got the better of Bruce. He was the one guy that Bruce couldn't beat no matter how much "time he had to prepare". And the very idea of someone like that, well was just terrifying to fans.