View Single Post
Old August 6 2008, 12:08 AM   #52
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Re: So is the pressure on Superman?

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Kegek wrote: View Post
Of course, I also want space opera to make a big comeback, but eh....
Let's hope next year's Star Trek rival does just that.
I definitely hope so. Hell, even if I just get a good Star Trek movie, I'd be satsfied - Star Trek being, to I'm sure nobody's surprise, my favourite space opera. But if a good Star Trek movie starts a wave of new space opera, that's even better.

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
You may yet get your wish. The rumours that have been swirlling about the movie version of Thor point towards a film largely if not wholly set in Asgard. (I'd be surprised if it was wholly, but I can see a Midgard/Asgard ratio equivalent to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe work for "Thor").
I see. I'm not familiar with the Thor comics. To what extent do Thor, Asgard and Midgard resemble their Norse myth equivalents? (I recall discussing this before on the forum and hearing that Thor's quite a bit different - more Shakespearean-ish - but I don't know about the rest of it.)

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Giving Superman a son by Lois out of wedlock doesn't qualify as an upset of the status quo? Seems like it upset enough fans....
I thought both the son and Richard were good ideas. My problem is that, despite these, for the most part the characters don't really have arcs. Superman and Lois go through the motions and hit a couple of notes that have already been done in the previous movies - the boyfriend and the son shake things up a bit but not too much. Superman seems to be never really threatened or challenged. And Luthor's still Luthor, of course. I thought it was a good movie, certainly, but one of the many reasons I thought The Dark Knight was better is that the status quo gets bucked quite a bit and many of the principals, including the title character, have significant character arcs.

So, I don't know, I guess what I wanted was more resolution on Lois rather than deferring that to the sequel. Does she stay with Richard or not? And for Luthor to pose some kind of extra threat to Superman.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote