View Single Post
Old August 3 2008, 04:43 AM   #105
Christopher
Writer

Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

Valeris wrote: View Post
I'm about 40 pages (counting the excerpt from Gods of Night and the "About The Author" pages) and this book has edged out Q&A for favorite TNG Relaunch (sorry KRAD!) and Joy Luck Club for Favorite Book in July (because I started reading it in July. Night of the Wolves is shaping up to be the Favorite Book in August).
Wow, thanks!

One thing that was most fascinating was the pivotal role family (both biological and chosen) played in the novel. I had been afraid that it would get a bit hokey, but that wasn't the cause. I will admit to feeling a bit like the entity in regards to fully understanding what the author was going for, but I think I understand. It is the relationships with the people around us, the interactions, the reactions, the constant give-and-take, that have helped define who we are and how we act and the way we develop and help others develop. And that family isn't necessarily two parents and a child. It's a group of friends that we can confide in, that we know will be there. Or it's that one special someone who truly cares about whether or not you're okay, and who's there to pick you up when you fall down. It's the crewmates around you, sharing a common goal while having different disciplines. It's all of this and more. And that cutting yourself off from all of that means denying yourself an incredible existence.
Well-said. It's interesting to see people reading this in terms I didn't consciously have in mind, coming at it from different angles.

Oh, and the puns were great, also. (I liked the "piece of its mind" one best of all).
Tell that to Margaret. I don't think she was too pleased with it.

Trys is quite possibly the most fascinating character I've come across in Trek Lit. It was another awesome facet of this book.
Wow, that's great to hear.

I'm actually welcoming the return of the Borg, since that single message terrified me more than Q Who did. And I'm being honest.
Neat.

I'm also glad the Leybenzon died, since I have never felt he was redeemable. I will once again comment on the irony of his last assignment being a starship named Bhutto, since the two that come to mind (Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto) also died because of their actions. Leybenzon, on some level, wanted to be a martyr, to die for a glorious cause (he essentially says as much), and the two Bhuttos are now regarded as martyrs (rightly or wrongly. In fact, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto is called : Shaheed-e-Azam, or The Great Martyr). I would liken Leybenzon's death more to Benazir's, since she willingly went back into a situation that on some level she knew she wouldn't survive from.
I checked the dates, and I actually wrote the scenes involving the ship a couple of months before Benazir Bhutto died. But it was after she survived a previous assassination attempt. I was trying to pay tribute to her as a peacemaker, and hoping she would succeed and be commemorated by Starfleet for that. But the tribute ended up with a different meaning, unfortunately.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote