View Single Post
Old August 2 2008, 04:33 PM   #98
Christopher
Writer

Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
Could I pick up this book and follow what's going on? I know the broad strokes of the current TNG books, the ongoing Borg storyline, but have heard the last couple of books weren't exactly home runs... I'd like to read the Destiny trilogy, would Greater Than Sum be a good jumping on point?
GTTS is designed to be a fresh start of sorts. It does have a lot of loose ends to tie up, but it's mainly a distinct story from what comes before. And it's also designed to be a prologue for Destiny.

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
It took some doing to figure out how to apply martial-arts principles to starship combat.
At least you didn't do it *literally*, like B5's Legend of the Rangers.
I actually liked that aspect of LotR. Sure, maybe there were some conceptual problems with the execution, but there's real-life research going on into gestural control systems, and we've already got the Nintendo Wii out there as a practical application. The usual panels of buttons and switches are probably going to look totally obsolete to viewers a generation or two from now. At least JMS tried to bring some imagination to the idea of a control interface.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote