View Single Post
Old August 1 2008, 08:47 PM   #88
tenmei
Fleet Captain

Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

I managed to grab this from a store in Canada before my flight and whilst the info-dumping came off a tad awkward in the first couple of chapters, once the ship got onto the mission I began enjoying the mission more. Christopher, you advised me to read the book before I commented on the cast shake up - and, now, halfway through the novel, I have to say that whilst the story is good, I think that it would have been nice to see T'Lana remain onboard the Enterprise. Partly because she had an interesting dynamic with Picard (and the fact that Worf's subconscious attraction to her was more fun than his attraction to Jasminder) and partly because I think it would have been interesting to see Trys react against such a character as T'Lana.

The one thing that annoys me is that, at times, when Trys is in a scene some of the other characters are made to look like idiots just to make her look clever - and I'm not sure this was completely necessary, or if it was, necessary to the extent that it was done.

I also realised, after the above-mentioned (and, in-novel-mentioned) thing about the Enterprise crew being female heavy - it's also "Asian" Ancestry Heavy. Choudhry (Indian), Elfiki (Egyptian), Kadohata (Japanese), T'Rys (Japanese) and Joanna Faur (Israeli ?) which is kinda pretty cool too.

I may be wrong about Faur but an internet search reveals Faur seems to be a popular Israeli surname.