View Single Post
Old July 31 2008, 01:11 AM   #41
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile
Re: Black Panther animated trailer

Galactus wrote: View Post
As far as the culture thing between African American and African, I know plenty of both and for the most part, there is no difference between culture. Of course their are differences such as food and such, but at the core the cultures are the same, just like the difference between Mexicans and Mexican Americans, and say Canadians and Americans.
Sort of off topic (I apologise), but I just had to chime in on this because I think this viewpoint completely incorrect. In my view Black Americans understate to an extreme degree the cultural differences between themselves and their African cousins. There's such a wide, wide... wide gap in the two cultures it's not even funny. I think there's a certain feeling of kinship between both, but the truth is that they each have their own distinct cultures. The idea that the difference in cultures is analogous to those seen between Mexicans and Mexican Americans and Canadians and Americans is simply wrong.

Perhaps you have African friends that might have given you this impression, but if you really want to get a good idea of the extent of the cultural differences I encourage you to dig a little deeper.