View Single Post
Old July 29 2008, 02:54 PM   #75
Christopher
Writer

Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

tenmei wrote: View Post
I love the idea of a female-centric and alien-centric command staff on a starship as it makes a change to the male-heavy, Human-heavy command crews we've seen in the past.
Well, the E-E command crew is still majority-human. As for the heavy female-to-male ratio, that wasn't something planned, it just kind of happened. Independently of each other, Keith created Kadohata, Dave created Choudhury and Elfiki, and I created T'Ryssa Chen, so we kind of collectively, semi-accidentally stacked the command staff with women. And Margaret didn't raise any objections to that.

And I'm fine with it too, since as Geordi said in the book, it's only fair after the male-dominated staff of the old TNG crew. But I did try to balance it out with male supporting characters such as Konya and Hegol.

David Mack wrote: View Post
It's my hope that the few scenes I was able to include for T'Ryssa were to Christopher's satisfaction and will also please both her fans and her detractors. One of the great things about the way Christopher wrote her character is that she can be a good foil for humor, as well as its instigator.
Not merely witty in herself, but the cause of wit in others? How Falstaffian. I like it.

Both the name and the description of Dina Elfiki are based on a former coworker of mine (with her permission). So it might be a bit of an exaggeration to say I "created" her; let's say instead that I adapted her from another medium (reality).

Another fun note: Although I had "created" the character of Jasminder Choudhury, Christopher got to write her first, and he brought so many great ideas about her character to GTtS that it helped me make her an even more compelling character in Destiny. (I hope.)
Yeah, Jasminder was a collaborative effort. Although I think Dave and I have rather different ideas of what she looks like. He sees Rekha Sharma from Battlestar Galactica, but I imagine someone taller, more statuesque and regal. My mental image is based on a woman I knew briefly in real life, a social worker who helped me with a difficult situation. The best way I can think to describe her is as sort of an Indian Marjean Holden.