View Single Post
Old July 29 2008, 12:09 AM   #785
steveman
Fleet Captain

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
I don't get this criticism of the Nolan films. Batman has had a history of film noir/ true crime stylistics since the early 1940s, brought back strongly in the 1970s and utilized since then pretty regularly. He's also long been discussed as the least fantastic superhero. I don't see a clash between the style and the subject here anymore than I did when reading Year One or any of the Batman fights organized crime stories of the 70s. Personally I always find it jarring to read comics where Batman goes up against magical supervillains like Clayface, or to have him team up with super-powered heroes. He's always been a hard-boiled detective in cape to me.
But there certainly are differences between Burton's films and Nolan's films, enough to draw a distinction between the two.

For instance, I think there are fantastical elements in Burton's films that never would've made it into Nolan's. And by that same token, I think there are realistic elements in Nolan's films that never would've made it into Burton's.

In all actuality, however, I think it's more a difference in the directors and their creative preferences than it is in how they viewed the source material.
steveman is offline   Reply With Quote