View Single Post
Old July 28 2008, 11:52 PM   #782
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

steveman wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
That was the same argument I was making after Batman Begins-- that Batman just didn't look right within that more realistic world, and that Burton's approach (of creating a world that a Batman could believably exist in) was the better one.
When discussing the merits of Burton's films vs. Nolan's films, this is probably the most interesting talking point.

I can see the strengths of both sides...
I don't get this criticism of the Nolan films. Batman has had a history of film noir/ true crime stylistics since the early 1940s, brought back strongly in the 1970s and utilized since then pretty regularly. He's also long been discussed as the least fantastic superhero. I don't see a clash between the style and the subject here anymore than I did when reading Year One or any of the Batman fights organized crime stories of the 70s. Personally I always find it jarring to read comics where Batman goes up against magical supervillains like Clayface, or to have him team up with super-powered heroes. He's always been a hard-boiled detective in cape to me.