View Single Post
Old July 28 2008, 05:57 PM   #56
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

ronny wrote: View Post
I just didn't get into the first third of it. Way too many scenes of people talking as a way to recap what has happened in the other books, recapping what has happened in Borg TV episodes, recapping romances from the show, etc. Then after all that there's a conversation that seemed to me a recap of the prologue. I started a list at one point because I couldn't believe the number of references there were as opposed to anything new. We all like references to things in the show but this was way over the top I thought. I was pretty surprised considering the what I thought was a pretty good track record for Christopher.
I know what you mean. Not too long ago I was starting to notice a lot of referencing, explaining and recapping - I think the main culprit that made me really notice it was A Time For War, A Time For Peace. Q&A had it as well, IIRC. Some books have a lot of 'x no. of years ago...' or 'x character remembered when' but I've gotten used to it now. It's just a side-effect of making each book be readable as a standalone, I would imagine. A lot of readers probably don't even notice it.