View Single Post
Old July 18 2008, 09:21 AM   #98
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

I just got back from a midnight showing. Maybe some slight spoilers in here:

I was expecting a slight disappointment after how heavily this has been hyped. Well, suffice to say I was completely blown away. This is a great film. Not just a great superhero film but a great film period. It transcends its genre and becomes something amazing. Every single performance is pitch perfect. Ledger as the Joker is full of manic energy and perfectly captured the lunacy and psychosis of the character. We laugh at his jokes (which the Joker should be funny) but are terrified of him, too. This is destined to become an iconic film role. It is all too sad that Ledger should pass on when this role truly would have propelled him to the top. Aaron Eckhart also gives an incredible performance. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the definitive portrayal of Harvey Dent/Two-Face. I was expecting Two-Face to simply be the cliffhanger for the next film. I was very pleasantly surprised to see his story fully fleshed out and explored here, while seamlessly being merged with the Joker's story. These two plot lines complemented each other so well. I just can't say enough about how great this film was. I certainly plan to see it many more times.