View Single Post
Old July 18 2008, 12:04 AM   #86
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
Re: Sci-fi Brilliant but Canceled or little known gems

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Relic Hunter
I have the pleasure of watching Relic Hunter every day on the Space Channel here in Canada.

Davros wrote: View Post
An oldie but a goody that I did not see mentioned yet was the show Wizards and Warriors from the early 80s. [maybe 1979]
Ooh, Dirk Blackpool... Duncan Regehr! That show was on in 1984.

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Sliders(the early seasons at least)
I enjoyed Seaquest and Sliders until John Rhys-Davies left the show.

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
"Smart kids give me a pain!"

My own choices are:

The Crow: Stairway to Heaven -- okay, I know some people can't stand it because it's not like the movie. But let's face it -- it would be an awfully short(er) series if all the bad guys got killed right away. The way it was done in the series is that the bad guys were being killed off gradually... and in ways that worked against Eric. The whole revenge vs. redemption/forgiveness quandary... it's hard to figure out sometimes in RL, and the show did an excellent job of exploring this theme. And the actors were so good at getting into their characters; I've been truly inspired in my fanfic efforts for this show, and currently have about 3 binders full of stories and poems. Sometimes all it took was a single line of dialogue or a character's unspoken reaction to somebody else's dialogue to make me get ideas on why he/she said that, why the character reacted that way... the words just flowed out.

This show was supposed to run a second season. They had been given the go-ahead... and then corporate crap happened. I don't recall which company bought which other company which decided that gothic fantasy wasn't what anybody wanted to watch -- but those decisions made the fans extremely frustrated because the first season ended on a literal cliffhanger. And now we'll never know what was meant to happen.

My other picks for this thread:

Highlander: The Raven
Space Island One
The Fantastic Journey
Logan's Run (yep, it was a TV series, too!)
Hard Time on Planet Earth
Planet of the Apes
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote