View Single Post
Old July 16 2008, 08:06 AM   #155
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Superman wrote: View Post
Hmm.

Quint's review at AICN states that TDK is not really The Batman's movie, and says it belongs to more to Dent and the Joker.

That's disappointing to hear. I had enough villain-centric films in the last Batman franchise.

I will remain open-minded, of course...

\S/
What I heard (I think in the Roeper/ Phillips review on At the Movies) is that it is a real ensemble piece. That's somewhat different from villain-centric. They said everyone gets their moment, and made mention in particular of Oldman's Jim Gordon. Well, Jim Gordon has been criminally underutilized until now in Batman films, so that's a good thing in my book. One of the great strengths of Batman is the marvelous characters that populate his world. The best Batman comic ever written (in my humble opinion), Year One, focuses as much, if not more, on Gordon as on Batman. Harvey Dent is a fantastic character both before and after his transformation - which is going to have a lot more impact if we've spent some time with him. The problem with the earlier Batman films has often been summed up as too much attention on the villains, but it really has to do with a shallow treatment of all the characters, and Batman being the least realized of any of them. I'm gathering this film does not have that problem at all.