View Single Post
Old July 16 2008, 04:48 AM   #82
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Sci-fi Brilliant but Canceled or little known gems

Kryton wrote: View Post
middyseafort wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
^ Doesn't Markstein also believe that Number Six is John Drake (McGoohan's earlier spy character), while McG himself says the opposite?
Yeah, Markstein says that the Prisoner is John Drake while McGoohan says he isn't. Then again, they also disagree as to who came up with the initial premise of the series. Markstein says he came up with it. McGoohan says that he first brought the premise to ITV with the notion of it being a seven-episode mini.
It doesn't hurt to keep in mind McGoohan pretty much shut down "Danger Man" to morph into "The Prisoner". He COULD have given Number 6 a name if he'd wanted to. I think it's pretty clear he was "cashing in" on the John Drake thing, personally.
It's also been noted that the American theme song to Secret Agent (what Danger Man is called in the U.S.) includes the lyrics, "They've given you a number and taken away your name."

Personally, I like that this will always be one of the great debated, unresolved questions in sci-fi history. I lean towards the school of thought that says that Number 6 is John Drake but I don't insist that everyone thinks so. I'm just big on crossovers. (Hell, I'm trying to figure out a way to finagle it so that 10,000 B.C. is a prequel to Stargate and that Mac MacDonald's character in Aliens is actually Captain Hollister from Red Dwarf.)