Old July 9 2008, 05:08 AM   #24
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Emh wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Then you're probably the only one.

I'm a bit disappointed that Katie Holmes decided not to return, but since she is gone, I'm quite happy to have a good actress in the film.
You're going to be disappointed then...because it's Maggie Gyllenhaal.
All a matter of opinion, I suppose. I think Maggie Gyllenhaal is an excellent actress and can stand up with the other acting giants, unlike Katie Holmes who was merely passable and looked pale in comparison to said acting giants.
The problem isn't MG nor KH...it was the character of Rachel Dawes and how she was written.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Then you're probably the only one.

I'm a bit disappointed that Katie Holmes decided not to return, but since she is gone, I'm quite happy to have a good actress in the film.
I just hate the whole idea of recasting and I was hoping this reboot wouldn't fall into that mess like the Burton/Schumacher films did. A lot of people have made comments about Katie being a bad actress or about Gyllenhaal being better, but to me, that doesn't matter as much as keeping the same players.
I understand that, but I have faith in both Christopher Nolan and Maggie Gyllenhaal making it work.[/quote]

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Maggie is a far superior actress to Katie Holmes and much better looking to boot. A very welcome change for me.
I disagree on both parts. While their acting talent is probably on par with one another, there is something about MG that I just can't stand.

I will grant this, KH did look a tad too young to believably play the role of a Asst. District Attorney. MG looks age-appropriate for it.

On a complete sidenote, I wonder if they'll ever incorporate the Rachel Dawes character into the comics. I guess it depends on whatever happens to her (if anything) in the Nolan series.