View Single Post
Old July 4 2008, 06:25 PM   #42
steveman
Fleet Captain

Re: Hancock - Grading & Discussion

I voted Average.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but less Charlize Theron would've made this a better movie. "Hancock" shows great potential when it's trying to be a comedy. Will Smith's drunken, lethargic Hancock is a variety of hero we haven't seen before -- one that clearly demonstrates how altruism isn't a trait that comes natrually to all heroes. For about the first two acts, the movie felt like a fresh take on the superhero genre.

But then we discover the truth about Charlize Theron's character. And about her relationship with Hancock. And about "who" these two are.

And that's when "Hancock" lost me. All the revealtions in the second half regarding the aforementioned were very abrupt and, frankly, didn't qualify as decent twists because they were so half-baked.

"Hancock" is a movie best looked at as two halves; the first, a fresh, entertaining take on the superhero genre (a genre that will noticeably start suffering from fatigue in the coming years, if it isn't already) and the second, an unfocused, puzzling attempt at drama that creatively conflicts with the first half.

Perhaps a director's cut will make "Hancock" feel more like a cohesive whole. But the version we have now was sorely disappointing, especially when it could have been a particularly unique entry in the superhero genre.

Last edited by steveman; July 4 2008 at 06:30 PM.
steveman is offline   Reply With Quote