View Single Post
Old July 4 2008, 06:24 PM   #20
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I don't think there was anything in particular wrong with it, but I also didn't think there was anything particularly great about it.

I guess it didn't have a big enough budget, or something. It's a movie, so why no real epic battles? I think we've seen bigger battles on the TV show. I know there was a lot of ships, but what exactly did they do, besides sit there?
Overall I think I have to agree with firehawk, there's too much missed opportunity in there, that makes you think of what could have been. Like it'd have been nice to see the alternate Jackson actually being encouraged, or at least feeling stalked, by our Jackson. Or people getting attached to people in this new time line, and making it more difficult to erase it.
I don't know, I think the writers are getting a bit full of themselves, in the same way the Trek writers did, and thinking the fans will buy anything they sell.
I'm not really a harsh critic of them or the show, but nearly everything in the last year or two has felt really lackluster.
The fundamental problem with time travel episodes in a TV show is that the alternate reality is almost always worse than the "real" reality, which means the characters have absolutely no incentive to NOT revert back to their original timeline.
Imagine if things were actually BETTER. What would SG-1 (or any random Trek crew or whomever) do then?
Hell, if they brought back Frasier and then Sam and Daniel were forced to acknowledge that restoring their timeline would basically mean killing her, the whole "consequences" thing could have at least been played up more.
Instead, we get Daniel telling off the President. Yes, we know you're right Daniel... and that's the problem.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"