View Single Post
Old July 3 2008, 05:36 PM   #152
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
You don't happen to have a link to one of those more recent interviews, do you?
I looked a bit last night and couldn't locate one; I'll try again later, since I want to make sure I'm not misremembering.

Edit: here's one:
You retired there for a while but then came back with a few books. What are you working on now?
When I said to that lady from the L. A. Times I might retire, I was still recovering from the accident that I was in, I was in a lot of pain, and I was under the pressure of finishing The Dark Tower. At that point, retirement looked good. When the pain went away and The Dark Tower finished up, retirement started to look bad.
And another:
Sometimes I'm glad that that [the Dark Tower] series is over because the last three books just about killed me, to the point that I announced my retirement. For a while there, I thought I was going to announce my death.
And for anyone who's curious, here is a report of his original "retirement" announcement.
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
And not because From a Buick 8 was a dull, terrible novel where nothing happened?
No, he failed to mention that.
Ah, From a Buick 8. I was enjoying it- not a lot, but enough to make it one of King's minor successes (like Duma Key. The fact that nothing much supernatural happens is kind of the point, as it's a book about the enduring presence of mystery in ordinary human lives. And then the ending dispelled the mystery almost entirely, by giving too much resolution to a story that wasn't about an evil car to begin with. One of the few book I've ever read where you could improve it just by chopping off the last twenty pages or so.
Egg, I dreamed I was old.

Last edited by Brendan Moody; July 3 2008 at 05:59 PM.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote