View Single Post
Old July 3 2008, 09:52 AM   #151
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
That's... odd. Apart from both having supernatural events centered around a car, they're nothing alike. He's said in more recent interviews that the "retirement" had more to do with (temporary) pain, frustration, and depression after his accident than with any real change in how he thought about writing.
Well, that makes sense. He certainly had every reason to be depressed. You don't happen to have a link to one of those more recent interviews, do you?

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
The two titles I named were both nicely spooky, I thought, albeit in different ways; the first deals with magic and degrees of reality and the second with laboratory experiments and altered perception. It's been many years since I've read either one, and I'd very likely read them differently now, but I certainly didn't find either of them forgettable. (In fact, I distinctly remember reading the last several chapters of Floating Dragon in one go; I was up late, couldn't put the book down and had all of the lights in the room on because it was too freaky to read in the dark. )
Weird. I'm sure they're good. I guess it's just a matter of taste. Unfortunately, at this point, I couldn't even say what I found wrong with his stuff.

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
And not because From a Buick 8 was a dull, terrible novel where nothing happened?
No, he failed to mention that.